Trips & Fun
Students at Northern Academy have plenty of opportunities to travel, explore, experience great culture, and have fun on weekend outings and class trips. Being conveniently located just north of New York city, and near the bordering states of New Jersey and Pennsylvania, there are many options for our Student Affairs department, dormitory parents, and students to choose from.
We enjoy trips from Manhattan’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, shows at Carnegie Hall, and Central Park, to gorgeous mountain ranges, waterfalls, and hikes in the Catskills of New York, and from Amish Country in Pennsylvania to the largest planetarium in the northern hemisphere and shopping malls in New Jersey.
We have a lot of fun at school too, and students have plenty of chances to show their talents. We celebrate with in school parties for Christmas and the Chinese New Year, complete with amazing food and hilarious acts and games by faculty and students, and beautiful performances from our classical music students and dance track.
Thanksgiving gets crazy with the Turkey Run, and student-led Clubs give you a chance to explore other interests and make great friends.
Weekends for dorm students, when not going on planned trips, mean getting to hang out together, go to the mall, bowling, movie nights, use of school facilities for dance and music studios, ping-pong, the cafeteria, library, and time to just relax.
Places we’ve visited so far:
- Bear Mountain Ice-skating Rink and hiking, NY
- Faust Harrison Piano Factory, NY
- Shen Yun Performing Arts, Lincoln Center, NYC
- Woodbury Common Outlet Mall, NY (we perform there too)
- Olana Estate, NY (Fine Arts Track)
- Sugarloaf Arts & Crafts Village, NY
- The MET – Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC (Fine Arts Track)
- West Point – The United States Military Academy, NY
- The Statue of Liberty, NYC
- Mount Hope Moon Festival, NY (we performed there too)
- The Frick Collection, NYC (Fine Arts Track)
- Delaware Water Gap, PA
- NYC Aquarium, Coney Island, NYC
- FDR Museum, NY
- Amish Farm & House Tour, PA
- Snow Tubing, Thomas Bull Park, NY
- Cloisters Museum, NYC (Fine Arts Track)
- Harness Racing Museum, NY
- Liberty Science Center & Planetarium, NJ
- Chinatown, NYC
- Museum Village, NY
- Horseback Riding at Juckas Stables, NY
- The Castle Fun Center, NY
- Soons Orchards apple picking, NY
- Shen Yun Symphony Orchestra, Carnegie Hall, NYC
- Palace Theatre, CT
- Florence Academy of the Arts, NYC (Fine Arts Track)