Financial Aid – Northern Academy
Please enable JS

Northern Academy of the Arts strives to provide financial aid to qualified students based on each student’s need and merit. Financial aid is normally awarded on a yearly basis with the possibility of renewal. Qualified applicants with financial difficulties may pay a sliding scale tuition.

Students seeking financial aid in their first year must apply for it at the time of application for admission. Northern Academy will notify the applicant of any financial aid awards at the time of the admission decision.

If there are any special circumstances not addressed in your application that you would like us to consider, please send a letter to our mailing address or via email with all details. Please also feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Complete the Financial Aid Application Online »

Northern Academy of the Arts admits students of any race, gender, color, national and ethnic origin, religion or disability to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, national and ethnic origin, religion or disability in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.

FAQs About Financial Aid

What sort of financial aid does Northern offer?

Northern is committed to quality education, artistic achievement, and moral integrity. Every qualified applicant who has a demonstrated need for financial aid or an outstanding academic or artistic track record will likely receive some form of aid. This financial aid typically covers part, but not all of, the total tuition.

Northern's financial aid is based both on need and merit.

What does “demonstrated need” mean?

Demonstrated need means that the applicant's parents or guardian can demonstrate through information and documents a real need for financial aid. We determine this need based on total income, assets, family size, and other financial obligations. Based on these numbers, the amount of the financial aid package will be adjusted. Other unusual family circumstances are also taken into consideration, including child support, nursing home or assisted living support for elderly family members, natural disasters, serious illness, and loss of employment.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Fill out the Financial Aid Request Form downloadable on this page or under Admissions on our website or contact the Admissions Office. Parents are required to submit copies of tax forms, including all schedules, and other relevant documents as part of the financial aid request process.

The deadline for financial aid is March 15th.

When will I find out if I qualify for financial aid?

You will simultaneously be notified of any financial aid for which you may qualify at the time that you are notified of your admission if you qualify for admission to Northern.

What if the documentation required for requesting financial aid is not available?

Northern requests for tax returns for the prior year to be submitted. In the case that the prior year tax return is not yet available, an older tax return may be submitted and the current tax return can be submitted later when available. All schedules for tax returns should be included.

When can I apply for financial aid?

Applicants should submit the Financial Aid Application Form with their application forms. Transfer students or current students may apply for financial aid at any time. Financial aid application received before March 15th will be considered for the fall semester for the following academic year.


If my sibling is also applying, do we have to submit two Financial Aid Request Forms?

If you and your sibling have the same parents or guardians, it is not necessary to submit financial aid forms twice. When calculating financial aid, Northern will take into consideration the fact that two students from the same family will be attending. Generally, the amount of aid in such cases will be higher.

If my parents are divorced or separated, do you need financial information from both parents?

Both of the separated or divorced parents should submit their financial information. If the non-custodial parent is unknown or non-compliant, then no information needs to be provided. However, the custodial parent must provide a sworn affidavit attesting to this fact.

Do I get the same financial aid every year?

Each year, a family must reapply for financial aid. As long as the financial circumstances and the academic or artistic standing remain the same, then the same financial aid will be provided.

What are the basic eligibility criteria for receiving financial aid?

A financial aid recipient needs to maintain a GPA of 3 or above, and abide by the NAA Code of Conduct.