Northern Academy of the Arts is a high school and middle school, grades 6-12, that nurtures strength of character and academic excellence in students. We give students the skills, the discipline, and the confidence they need to be successful in college and in life.
Students at Northern Academy receive a rigorous, top-tier education that imbues a philosophy of lifelong learning. We keep the teacher-student ratio in classes at an average of 1:10, which means an individualized education that is flexible and responsive. We believe this helps many of our students achieve above average SAT scores.
While every student fulfills a complete college preparatory curriculum, Northern Academy also has a unique emphasis on the classical arts of both Western and Eastern civilizations.
“Rhythm and harmony penetrate into the mind and take a most powerful hold on it.”—Plato
“A scholar should constantly pursue what is virtuous and find recreation in the arts.” —Confucius
Just as the ancient philosophers believed, modern studies have found that teaching the arts in schools can have a profound effect on young minds. The arts produce a greater sense of enjoyment and fulfillment in students, enhance their communication skills and self-confidence, and make the school culture feel more positive and adventurous.
Students select either the academic track or an arts track that best suits them. By taking an approach with multiple tracks, Northern Academy of the Arts opens up a wide range of avenues for students to allow them to rise to their fullest potential.
We take building character very seriously. For children and teenagers who are growing every day, the time is now to lay a solid foundation of good habits and values that will benefit them for the rest of their lives.
Northern Academy Offers:
- Academic Students: A unique, carefully planned curriculum and small class size that allow them to engage meaningfully with subjects and help them become lifelong learners.
- Arts Students: Training that enables students to pursue an arts career as well as building their character through the discipline of artistic training. Art students also get a strong college preparatory education so they are prepared regardless of what profession they ultimately choose.
- Open to grades 6 through 12
- Boarding and day school options
- Low student-teacher ratio
- College counseling and planning for each high school student
- Private tutoring in all subjects as needed
- Etiquette and mind-body-spirit health education
- A safe environment with an emphasis on moral values and good conduct.
- Traditional Chinese culture and Mandarin language classes
- ESL and tutoring
We are accredited by the Middle States Association Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools.
Due to COVID-19, Northern Academy of the Arts holds a pending registration with the Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education and is currently permitted to issue New York State Regents Diplomas.